Tuesday 26 October 2010

Early bird catches the worm


As long as I’ve been a garden designer I’ve felt a fraud for having never been to Columbia Road Flower Market. Friends have been trying to send me there for ages – so this Sunday I smugly got up early and went. And I think I was disappointed. Or rather, I was expecting more (bigger, louder, a ridiculous amount of flowers) - and in that way I probably missed the point. The stretch of market is very small, and in content it doesn’t really differ from other London markets (although it is mainly flowers), but the fabric of the area is good Olde London at its best – shops selling provisions, and hot drinks sold in cobbled back street courtyards. I half expected a bed pan to be emptied onto the street - but the only alarming thing to happen was a Lakeland terrier nearly eating Lindy the dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment